Saturday, October 31, 2009

Panna Cotta

(This is not my photo, I just found it on google)


Panna Cotta is an italian dessert, I guess similar to Creme Brulee, but it is not really a custard, because there are no eggs. But it is a really unique and delicate dessert that is seriously one of the best desserts I have ever had. It is very rich and creamy, but also feels a little light and it has a really interesting and amazing texture. It also is a really beautiful and romantic dessert. This is BY FAR, Mitchy's favorite dessert and it is always a real treat when I make it for him! He doesn't care too much about desserts, he likes them, but can do without...but when it come to Panna Cotta, he is obsessed. And he even hints to me that it might be nice to enjoy a little Panna Cotta. I recently went on a trip to New York and Mitch stayed home with the kiddos, so the night before I left, I decided to make a double batch of Panna Cotta and leave it in the fridge for him as a Thank you. I didn't get any pictures of course because I left. But he was in heaven!


This recipe is from Williams Sonoma and it always comes out perfectly.

INGREDIENTS:

1 1/2 cups milk

4 1/2 tsp unflavored gelatin

1/2 cups sugar

1 1/2 cups heavy cream


Optional To Serve on top after they are complete: Chocolate Ganache and Raspberries of Strawberries



Six to Eight ramekins, set on a small baking sheet.


INSTRUCTIONS:

Pour 1/3 of the milk into a saucepan and sprinkle in the gelatin. Let sit until the gelatin softens and swells, about 3 minutes. Add the remaining milk and the sugar and set the saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until the sugar and gelatin are dissolved. Do not let the liquid boil. Remove from the heat and gently stir in cream and vanilla until blended.


Divide evenly among the prepared ramekins. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until well chilled and firm, at least 8 hours or overnight.


I prefer to serve them in the ramekins. It is much easier and still beautiful. Then I add some chocolate ganache on top of about 1/3 of the panna cotta and then place some Strawberries or Raspberries on top of that and ENJOY!!!



FOR THE GANACHE:

I just melt some chocolate chips and add heavy cream and stir. A good ratio is about 8 oz. of Chocolate to about 1 cup of Cream.




The cold velvety Panna Cotta with the Warm rich chocolate and the tart fruit...TO DIE FOR! Trust me! One of the best desserts I have ever tried or made! Please give this one a shot, you will thank me!



1 comment:

  1. hmm i want to try this. believe it or not, i've only had this once at Sundance when I worked there... and i LOVED IT! Drew was too scared to eat, but i think he took a bite. he doesn't like certain textures.

    ReplyDelete