Thursday, September 3, 2009

Open-faced Greek Sandwiches

So, let's take a little trip to Greece! This is quite possibly my favorite thing to eat lately! I love these greek flavor combinations and it tastes so fresh and light. Also, it is crazy how easy it is! I think you would be able to do a version of it using other ingredients but I get all mine from Trader Joe's and I couldn't imagine it any other way! Please try this...it is so good I just want to talk about it with you!



Ingredients:
Garlic Naan
Hummus
Tomatoes
Cucumber
Feta Cheese
Salt and Pepper to taste
(I've never tried it with Kalamata olives, but that might be good too!)


How to Assemble: No cooking required, just assembly!
Take the hot naan out of the oven, spread the cold hummus on top generously. Then top with the tomatoes and cucumbers. Sprinkle the feta cheese on top and a little salt and pepper if you wish.

Garlic Naan- I think it has to be the frozen garlic kind! This yogurt based bread is so chewy and delicious and is the perfect texture for the creamy hummus and crunchy cucumbers!
(I have never tried using anything except naan- but I guess you could try maybe a flat bread or pizza dough and then add garlic and parsley. I think pita is a little too dry and flavorless.)

Put a piece of naan into the over at 400 degrees for about 2-5 minutes. Make sure it is hot throughout. Then immediately add the cold hummus and topping and eat while it is still hot!


I am kind of a connoisseur of hummus! I love hummus and I have not found a better hummus than the original one from Trader Joe's. You can taste the garlic and hint of lemon but it isn't as bitter as a lot that I have tried...which means, just the right amount of Tahini!
Yes, I know, get a life, but I care about Hummus, clearly!
While you're preheating and cooking the naan, dice the tomatoes and cucumbers.
I love the Campari tomatoes from Costco and the Persian Cucumbers from Trader's!

Then Sprinkle on the feta and enjoy!!!

I love these flavor combinations! It couldn't be easier, and there is everything you could want in this refreshing treat... Hot and Cold, Crunchy, chewy, creamy, salty, sweet (from the tomatoes)! It is a winner! Can't wait to hear what you guys think!


1 comment:

  1. I meant my other comment up here...but those cupcakes are fabulous also (thank you again for those wonderful treats).
    I definitely need a trip to Greece.

    ReplyDelete