Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thankgiving: Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes

(Photo via Google, I will add my own after the Holidays)

I love Ina Garten's Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes Recipe! Yum, this is getting me so hungry! Why are they so good? I just love them! I usually skip the gravy but this year I am going to try to make a vegetarian one so I will post it if it turns out to be yummy!

Ingredients

  • Kosher salt
  • 1 1/2 pounds boiling potatoes
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions

In a large pot, bring 2 quarts of water and 1 tablespoon of salt to a boil. Meanwhile, peel the potatoes and cut them into 1 1/2-inch cubes. Add them to the boiling water and bring the water back to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer uncovered for 10 to 15 minutes, until the potatoes fall apart easily when pierced with a fork.

Meanwhile, heat the milk and butter in a small saucepan, making sure it doesn't boil. Set aside until the potatoes are done.

As soon as the potatoes are tender, drain them. Mash them with a masher and then a hand mixer, but not too much, I still like them kind of chunky. As soon as the potatoes are mashed, stir in the hot milk mixture. Add enough buttermilk to make the potatoes creamy. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and the pepper, and serve hot.


No comments:

Post a Comment