Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Eggplant Parmesan: My Current Obsession!


When I say obsession, I am not using that word lightly!!! I think about this eggplant parmesan basically everyday, and when I make it, that is all I want to eat...I could pretty much eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner! I just love it so much and it is so satisfying and delicious! And it almost tastes better to me the next day after it settles together. So, this is a must try! Even if you or your family "thinks" you don't like eggplant...you will love this. I slice the eggplant so thin and that gives it great texture. Trust me...it is perfection!
So, there are a few ways to do this. If you are including roasted vegetables, then it is great to use a pan and just start layering (I often use leftover roasted vegetables from the night before so I don't even have to do that step, which is nice!) But if you are doing just eggplant, it is kind of fun and fancy to do it like a little Eggplant Napolean, pictured below. Just cook in a dish and layer the circular breaded eggplant with the sauce and cheese and then bake in the oven and each person is served there own Napolean.
If I am doing just Eggplant Napoleans, I like to lightly drizzle the breaded eggplant with balsamic vinegar and then layer and cook. It just adds an extra depth of flavor.



*I usually just throw it together so these are approximate measurements.

INGREDIENTS:
~1 large eggplant, sliced very thin

~For Breading Eggplant: One plate of parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, salt and pepper and fresh basil to dip eggplant in, one plate of flour to dip eggplant, one bowl of a couple eggs, beaten to dip eggplant in.

~Olive oil, for frying the eggplant

~A variety of vegetables, (roasted in the oven in olive oil, herbs de provence, salt and pepper, and drizzled with balsamic vinegar after they are done. Love it with fennel, squash, zucchini, onions, cauliflower, whatever you have) *optional

~About 3.5 or 4 cups or more of Your favorite marinara sauce recipe or just some from the store is fine, my favorite is the Trader Joe's Tuscano Marinara in the can.

~About 3 cups Shredded Mozzarella, or less if you want

~A little Smoked mozzarella, *optional (This adds an extra unique and yummy, smokey flavor)

~Parmesan Cheese

~Salt & Pepper to taste
DIRECTIONS:
Slice eggplant very thin, in circles or half circles. Place three plates or shallow bowls on the counter. One with a mound of flour. Two with a couple eggs, beaten. Three with a mound of parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, salt and pepper and fresh herbs, like basil.
Dip the eggplant in the flour, then the eggs, then the parmesan mixture. Then fry until golden brown in a pan with hot olive oil. Remove and place of paper towel to drain.

**Often times I don't have bread crumbs, so I just use flour and parmesan cheese. Also, I have done it for my sister-in-law who can't eat gluten, with just eggs and parmesan cheese! It all pretty much tastes the same! So this is a great *GLUTEN-FREE option!
These bits of eggplant are so yummy just like this! So make extra to snack on! My other sister-in-law just made these, brought them to a party and served them with marinara dip and ranch (kind of like mozzarella sticks). They were a hit!
Layer sauce, roasted vegetables, cheese, eggplant, sauce, cheese, etc. Then Bake in the oven at 375 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes. Let it sit for 10 minutes before you cut and serve.
And ENJOY!
Micah was begging me for days to make Eggplant "K"armesan!
I finally did and he was loving it!



1 comment:

  1. I've never made eggplant parmesan before - def trying this out soon! Looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete