Thursday, September 23, 2010

Grilled Vegetable, Herb and Goat Cheese Sandwiches

That's more like it!!! My good friend Leisha made this sandwich and LOVED it so she put it on her blog and she is an amazing photographer...(and cook for that matter!) Look how much better that looks than mine...it is embarrassing! I need someone to teach me how to use my camera! Leisha, you should just make all my recipes and take pictures and then I will use them on my blog...ha ha!

This is a recipe that I saw Giada De Larentiis do and I thought that it looked delicious and so I tried it...and it is! I changed a few things and added some caramelized onions, but it is really close to what her recipe is. I brought it to the beach for a bonfire with friends and let some of them and their husbands try it and they all agreed that it was definitely "blog-worthy" and that they would make it again and again! And so would I. I really loved it and have thought about it often and made it again since...and I want one right now, so there you go. Don't be afraid of the goat cheese, it is amazing, but if you are not a fan, just choose a different cheese! And if you are not loving the type of vegetables, you can switch those out with your favorites too! Me, I wouldn't change a thing! I loved every bite! It will be your new favorite...it is mine!

P.S. I know the pictures never make it look that great, but it is that great!

INGREDIENTS:


  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and finely chopped
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
  • 1-2 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
  • 1/2- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 zucchini, ends trimmed and discarded, sliced lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick pieces
  • 2 Japanese eggplants, ends trimmed and discarded, sliced lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick pieces
  • 1 onion, diced and caramelized
  • 1 (12 1/2-ounce) baguette, sliced in 1/2 lengthwise (IMPORTANT: I love the brea one's from costco the day of!!! They have to be fresh, just baked that day...it makes all the difference!!!)
  • 1 cup (6 1/2 ounces) goat cheese, at room temperature
  • 3/4 cups baby spinach and 3/4 cups arugula
  • 1 Tablespoon of Balsamic Vinegar (for the caramelized onions)


Directions


Place a grill pan over medium heat, or heat up the grill.

In a pan, begin to caramelize the onions in a little butter. The more caramelized the better!! I like to caramelize my onions beyond recognition, to really make them sweet, but that is just me. When they are a few minutes away from being done, add about a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar. It is AMAZING! Then let them sit and cool until you need to used them.

In a small bowl, mix together the olive oil, garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, basil, thyme, salt, and pepper. Place 2 tablespoons of the mixture in a medium bowl. Add the zucchini and eggplant and toss until coated. Place the vegetables on the grill pan or grill and cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side until tender.

While the vegetables are cooking, spread the goat cheese on the top and bottom of the baguette halves. Then spread the olive oil mixture over the goat cheese. (I didn't use all the olive oil, I just spooned all the basil and sun-dried tomatoes out of the bowl and onto the baguette.) Place the cooked vegetables on the bottom half of the baguette. (I soaked up some of the oil from off the vegetables with a paper towel). Add the caramelized onions over the top of the vegetables. Arrange the spinach and arugula on top of that. Add some salt and pepper to taste. Close the sandwich and put tooth picks in it to hold it all together.

Serve immediately or wrap in parchment paper and refrigerate for up to 2 hours. You have my permission to devour! I want one right now! Enjoy! Thanks Giada!

2 comments:

  1. Yum! I am going to try these this week! I've been wondering what to do with the extra goat cheese in the fridge. This looks like the perfect thing!
    -Leish

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I couldn't wait - I went to the store this morning and we had these for lunch! Amazing! I hope you don't mind me putting this up on my blog too!

    ReplyDelete