Friday, September 11, 2009

Tomato, Havarti & Basil Baguettes

Anyone for a picnic? These sandwiches are perfect, actually they are perfect for eating anywhere! Whenever I make these sandwiches if feels like a real treat because there is almost nothing else I would rather eat!

(I took these pictures from Elise's blog because surprisingly I don't take pictures of EVERYTHING I eat!) But she made the sandwiches, had a picnic and blogged about it, so thanks Elise! Love this tree shot too, it makes me feel like I was on the picnic too!
My Inspiration: When I was 5 months pregnant, I took a trip to Europe! For the first 5 months of my pregnancy I was crazy sick!!! I couldn't eat anything at all, really! I was even throwing up the whole way over on the airplane! But somehow while I was there, the switch flipped! And I felt perfectly fine, had tons of energy and was beyond hungry! So, there was this little "eatery" in London that was so delicious! Everything was so fresh and crisp, we all loved it, plus it was fast and easy! They actually have opened one in NYC and DC too. We'll have to see if it matches up! It is called "Pret A Manger"!
We loved it! Anyway, I ordered the Brie and Basil Baguette! It had only brie cheese, tomato and Basil. That's it! But it was so fresh and I adored every bite! I ate the entire baguette and then proceeded to order a second and then ate that entire one as well! I classified myself to everyone as being "ferociously hungry". That is the only way to explain it! You know what I am talking about if you have been pregnant...I hope! Anyway, they each were probably almost a foot long!

So, before you judge...
A. I hadn't really eaten in 5 months
B. I was eating for two
C. Baguettes are actually really skinny ok!

Anyway, I craved that sandwich the rest of the trip and when I came home I decided to make one! Then I kind of added some things and switched it around a bit! Made a pesto mayo to give it a little something extra. Anyway, this is what it turned out to be and I love it!


Ingredients:

~1 FRESH Baguette, it has to be fresh!!! (I like the Brea ones from Costco- get it the day of)
~Tomatoes- about 3 or 4 depending on size
~Fresh Basil- about 6-8 whole leaves
~Havarti Cheese- (it is much more people friendly than brie, plus it really adds a nice almost nuttiness and richness to the sandwich!) Love this cheese! Mozzerella is way too flavorless!
~Mayo
~Jarred pesto (I like the classico brand, I don't know why)
~Lemon
~ Salt & Pepper to taste


How to make the pesto:
Mix together a couple tablespoons of Mayo with a tablespoon or so of pesto. Then add a squeeze of lemon if you have it. It just makes it taste a little fresher. (It shouldn't taste like a lemon pesto- just a light squeeze). It should be more white than green, but still a significant amount of green! Sorry if I am confusing you!


How to assemble the Sandwich:
Slice the baguette lengthwise, leaving one side still "connected".

Add the Pesto Mayo generously...

Layer the cheese along the bottom of the baguette generously,
Then add a layer of sliced tomatoes generously,
And a layer of whole basil leaves generously, from end to end. And I love a lot of basil!!!
And then top with a little salt and pepper!

We put tooth picks in after to keep it closed and then eat and enjoy!
They are still good in the fridge for up to two days! Let me know what you think, but my whole family, on both sides...we are all sold!!!


7 comments:

  1. just made myself one of these and it was delicious! you were right on with the havarti...i think it makes it. thanks! oh, and i've eaten at pret a manger in ny and it was really good. perfect for something quick and fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Holli, I am so glad you made them!!! Yes, people...Havarti!

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are the worlds freshest and best sandwiches ever. i made them for a gathering on my parents boat and they were a HIT. especially because they were easy to make- all you do is mix the pesto mayo and assemble. i honestly wanted one the very next day for breakfast... heaven help me. i think i may start craving them on a daily basis. if you haven't tried them yet, make them for lunch or dinner today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jess, Could you be more adorable!!! Thanks so much, I am so glad you loved them so much and whenever I make them I make sure to make an extra one for me for breakfast the next morning!!! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i am making these for a party on friday night! thanks for all your great recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. made these tonight for our picnic date and they were delish! thx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  7. have you ever toasted these on the stovetop? I was thinking of doing this on a baguette over ciabatta.

    ReplyDelete